Saturday, February 21, 2009

Law Practice (and other business) Fundamentals

Due to deep seated psychological reasons, which years of therapy have not remotely approached addressing, I have always had it in my mind that I could not draw, paint, or do anything remotely "artistic". It's got something to do with my mother being an artist, and worrying too much about what other people would think about my artistic efforts. And yes, Dr. Freud, I know I married an artist, just to keep you amused.

However......once, in preparation for giving a talk on "Building a Law Practice", I made a little illustration. This is the only known work of its kind, created by my very hand.....

If I do not explain the meaning of this relic, I fear it may be later discovered and subject to mis-interpretation. The drawing is called "Law Practice Fundamentals". A law practice, or ANY business, is based on THREE basic things:

1. Getting the business.

2. Doing the work.

3. Managing the finances.

If a law practice (or ANY business) is having "problems", the source is often one (sometimes more than one) of these issues. GM is screwed on all three, and in my view, their Chapter 11 filing is inevitable, but that's another post. Most new law practices are initially challenged with Item #1. I maintain this is easily overcome, and will then present the challenges of #'s 2&3.

Maybe this approach is overly simplistic, but breaking it down to these basics gives you a place to start. It also takes what can appear to be a broad question (How do I start or improve a law practice?), and targets areas for further concentration.


Tomorrow, let's get us some business.....

No comments:

Post a Comment